Notice of Vacancies
Two vacancies have arisen in the Community Council - information available here
Welcome to the Llanvaches Community Council website.
Llanvaches, Llanfaches in Welsh, is located about midway between the market town of Chepstow and the city of Newport. The village lies just north of the A48 road and below Wentwood, with both Newport centre and Chepstow about 7 miles distant.
The village is named after Saint Maches (Latin: Machuta), a daughter of Saint Gwynllyw or Woolos and sister of Saint Cadoc, who according to tradition lived a humble life as a shepherdess in the 5th century but was killed by robbers stealing her finest ram. Saint Tathan, Abbot of nearby Caerwent, to whom the murderers confessed their crime, built a church on the spot where she was killed, which became known as Merthyr Maches and later Llanfaches.
The parish church largely dates from the 14th century and is dedicated to Saint Dubritius (Welsh Dyfrig), with Bishops Transcripts dating back to 1725.